Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Just got hired for my first job

I'll start this monday for my first job as a school nurse. The board exam result is still pending (release is on July 15). I was amazed they provided me this opportunity given the fact that I'm not yet a registered Nurse. Honestly, I don't care about the salary, all I'm after is the job experience. I made a promise to myself and my classmates that never should I include call center on my job list, over my dead body! No offense to call center agents. But, today, everyone is just studying to become a call center agent without realizing that the amount of hardwork you put on it only tantamounts the (large?) sum of money you are actually earning minus the abnormal sleep patterns.

Ten years from now, I'm seeing myself as a Community Nurse. Smiling on less fortunate children while giving them vaccines ( then posing for pictures afterwards, lol). Why would I work abroad if my fellow Filipinos are sick?(sounds self-righteous?). I don't want to work in a hospital setting. I mean, hospitals are just second on my list . You know, If the goal of nursing is preventive rather than curative, why would anyone spend more time alleviating illnesses rather than preventing it from occurring and promoting health in statistically probable areas. I'm sorry but for me and Dean Lopez, we believe that 90% of the patients are not in the hospital. They are in the community. They are our mother, father, brother sister brush your teeth. Seriously, If nursing in a 'real sense' actually abiding on it's principle about quality care then we would have reached our goals on decreasing morbidity and mortality rates. The problem is, the more expanded the nursing roles today, the complicated it gets. In order to achieve this, I need to pass the board exam in the soonest time possible so that I could reformat the Philippine health care system.

3 comments:

sadako said...

all the best in your first job... keep the spirit of "caring" alive!

Lalon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lalon said...

you're such a breath of fresh air.. sorry kasi honestly while i was browsing through your page i thought that you're just another nurse na mangingibang bansa not until i read this post.. i salute people like you.. sana mapanindigan mo sya.. i was previously a callcenter agent and i think we share the same view towards that kind of work.

if you have a spare time.. i'd like to share this old post on my blog.. thanks.. and oh btw, mind if we exchange links na rin? thanks!

** d(^_~)b -> listening to Elliot Yamin's "Wait For You" while writing this down.